PDA

View Full Version : Talk about collecting crap...

Slugo
04-28-2009, 10:33 PM
back in the early 90's I was contacted by an Army buddy of mine. He asked me if I wanted something really fucking cool. I said sure, what do you have!?! Well, I took a drive down to Letterkenny Army Base in Chambersburg, PA to pick up three US Air Force AIM-4 air to air missiles. No warheads though! I got two radar guided and one heat seeker that still tracked if it detected a source of heat. Took my neighbor's pickup so I could haul them back. Also got official papers when I picked them up. Could you see if I got these today and was stopped for speeding. Guess I would be spread eagle over the hood with my legs spread and off to Gitmo! :eek:

The radar guided AIM-4 below is mine. It was on display during Armed Forces Day...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2layd8o.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/64mcep.jpg

BlackHills
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
That's a great piece of history and very cool.

Slugo
04-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Scott, you should have seen my neighbors when I unloaded them off the pickup still in their cases. The locals thought I bought three caskets. The when I showed them the contents their jaws dropped like a lead sinker! ;)

BlackHills
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
LOL....I bet that was priceless. I love really odd stuff like that, I think it's much more fun to have that than to collect something that everyone and their dog has.

Now if we can only figure out how to make those workable again....;)

Slugo
04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Mrs. Slugo has been belly aching since 93 to get them out of the garage! LOLOL...

Mike S
04-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Wow, pretty cool Unc. Hard to read the invoice, did you pay $32? What an insane deal! Doubt they'd let you buy that sort of thing these days.

Slugo
04-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Wow, pretty cool Unc. Hard to read the invoice, did you pay $32? What an insane deal! Doubt they'd let you buy that sort of thing these days.

didn't pay a dime, just a government form and used as a travel manifest for obvious reasons...

Sushi
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
You should design a mount for the Mustang and put the three of them on it... That would make a hell of a scary car ;)