PDA

View Full Version : Rest assured, the deal between Apple and Verizon...

Slugo
04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
is all but done. As I said yesterday, Apple can't afford not to do business with Verizon which clearly holds the top spot of all wireless carriers. The Verizon iPhones will be available before the 4th of July, bet on it...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/iphone/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217200485&cid=iwhome_art_iPhon_mostpop

Pistolero
04-29-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm having problems with that article's facts from the get go. It claims Verizon turned down the iPhone over branding and wanting to put their software.

Not according to an interview I read with Jobs when the iPhone first came out. Verizon turned down the deal because the initial iPhones would only be sold without carrier subsidies (no $50 phone with contract) and Apple insisted on part of the monthly service fee. Verizon wasn't willing to give up any of it's revenue stream.
When the 3G iPhone came out, Apple started letting at&t subsidize the cost of the phone which is how the price came down to $199, but at&t raised the data plan by $10 for the 3G phone, from $20 to $30. (Which is why I haven't upgraded.)

Keep in mind, at&t has an exclusive contract through 2010 with Apple which they want to extend at least another year. So it will be interesting to see how this shakes out, but no way by this summer.

Slugo
04-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not doubting your rationale, I just know how companies can kiss you today and fuck you tomorrow, in the ass I'm talking about! BTW, thanks for all the help and I will call you this week...

Rev. Grouse
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
What is the total monthly cost of the AT&T plan with the Iphone? I have AT&T and have been extremely pleased with the service and coverage areas. My contract is long expired and I'm on month to month so it may be time to get one of those things.

Pistolero
04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
You can just add the $30 data plan onto whatever plan you currently have. But you'll probably get locked into a new 2 yr contract.