PDA

View Full Version : I hope this is true (article is a few months old) >>>

Tai-Pan
04-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I really like this Alfa Romeo. It's not everyone's taste for sure, but I like the styling and the Alfa grille. My only concern is reliability.

Anyone over in U-rup have experience with modern Alfas in terms of reliability and build quality? How do they stack up against say Toyota and Honda?

Alfas haven't been sold here in the US since the early 90s. Last one I remember was the Spyder that I saw at the Auto Show at Moscone Center in '90. And I think Alfas only come in one color: red?

This would be good for a 2nd car, not an only-car.

http://www.ridelust.com/chrysler-fiat-alliance-would-bring-7-new-fiat-vehicles-to-us/

Max__Power
04-30-2009, 01:02 PM
While Alfa's are nice cars, they cannot hold their value (at least here in Europe). They fully depreciate in 3 years.

Tai-Pan
04-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Yikes! I'll skip the Mito then. Thanks Max_Power!

Max__Power
04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
It is just marketing. Here in Euroland, LG is considered a premium brand. Back around 1990, I recall being able to find it only at KMart, flea markets, and off the backs of trucks. If Alfa plays its cards right, it can position the brand as a premium in the US the way LG has done so here.

Tai-Pan
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I hear what you're saying, back in 1990 LG was still calling itself Lucky-Goldstar (Korean brand) and they sold their TVs and VCRs at places like Thrifty's drug stores over here.

But Alfa won't be able to cultivate a premium reputation if their quality sucks ass. I'm hoping that they can teach Chrysler something about QA/QC.

Sushi
04-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Like a hot wimmin, takes maintenance to keep up and running ;)

Tai-Pan
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
And like hot wimmins, there's someone out there tired of their shit ;)

Max__Power
05-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Overall, Alfa quality is pretty good with the engines being fabulous.

Tai-Pan
05-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Here's a cool article by Jeremy Clarkson on the MiTo and Rolexes and Omegas!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article5944203.ece

Sushi
05-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Expensive but me think I'll like it... The 2010 Camry Hybrid... I know that I'll probably have to change the batteries in four years so I decided when talking to the girlfriend about it, to set the money aside at purchase time for the battery replacement.

I should buy this by July if all goes according to plan... But dammit yesterday I say a couple of Audi A5 and ... they are nice as well but the sticker price isn't for what you get... sadly... yup sadly it is out of my price range (The A5 that is...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/europa99/Picture-1-7.jpg

Tai-Pan
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Hmmm...why not get the regular gasoline engine Camry?

As for the Audi, you'll probably have to service it within 6 months of driving it off the dealer lot. The good news is that it'll still be under warranty ;)

Max__Power
05-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Not so Kemosabi. My wife had an Audi A4 wagon with a 1.9 TDi for 4 years. We got it up to 245 km/h (152 mph) on the autobahn and it was reliable as as old faithful.

Pistolero
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Not so Kemosabi. My wife had an Audi A4 wagon with a 1.9 TDi for 4 years. We got it up to 245 km/h (152 mph) on the autobahn and it was reliable as as old faithful.

I had that same engine in my Golf, most reliable car I've ever owned. In five years, other than oil/ filter changes, and cleaning the throttle body once (all routine maintenance) I had to replace the headlight bulbs. That was it, and it was covered under the warranty!

Sushi
05-01-2009, 05:39 PM
If I wanted a regular engine car... I wouldn't get a Camry, I'd get a cool looking and funner driving car... Actually, I'd probably get the 6 cyl. Honda Accord instead of the Camry the Honda is a better looking car IMHO... At this time I think a Toyota Hybrid car is the way to go, Diesel is now the same price (practically) as gas as such at 5.7 liters per 100 km (or 1.5 gallons per 100 km) with the Camry in both the city and highway... Well... the Camry is the way to go, just think about going to Montreal and back from Toronto on one tank of gas... :-)

320 miles plus a few extra from driving around in Montreal for the weekend and that's why I want an Hybrid :D

Tai-Pan
05-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I just replaced my GTI with a brand new Toyota Matrix. Prolly the <i>best</i> car decision I made :)