View Full Version : Computer input device

04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I've been using a Microsoft Trackball Explorer I since it first came out in 2001. Mine still works well although the paint has worn off in several areas on the palm rest. I like being able to use my fore and middle fingers to move the big ball and thus the on screen cursor. The thumb wheel and twin button areas are also very convenient. The whole deal is stationary and the most ergonomic I've ever used. And yes, I've tried other mice and trackballs over the years too but none have had me switching over from the MTE.


What's frustrating is that MS refuses to makes them again despite legions of folks asking. They also refuse to allow anyone else to do so by license. Go figure. What has happened is that the used market has gone nuts with these selling for $300. Go to Amazon.com or eBay and have a look. Plain nuts.

So why am I posting? A lament for sure about there not being a replacement out there for me should mine finally bite the dust. But also out of curiosity to see if anyone else is using some computer peripheral or accessory that is also quite dated or extremely worn.

04-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm using a very old ergo keyboard with a touchpad built into it. There are similar models out there but none exactly like the one I use...so it's been apart a few times when stuff got spilled on it to keep it working.

This is similar to mine....


..except the touchpad on mine is under the L/R up/down keys and there are three extra buttons in the middle of the split, one being a tab key which I use all the time. I suppose I could get used to one like that but I really like the touchpad where it is plus the extra tab key.