PDA

View Full Version : Why is the MSM ignoring the bow?

BlackHills
04-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Is it because Obama can do no wrong in their eyes? It doesn't seem to bother them and wouldn't even be news were it not for many Americans objecting to it. It's strange that in 1994 when Bill Clinton was accused of inclining too much when meeting the Emperor of Japan even the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/19/weekinreview/the-world-the-president-s-inclination-no-it-wasn-t-a-bow-bow.html) had a totally different view on things.

"IF I see another king, I think I shall bite him," Teddy Roosevelt once growled. Offered that opportunity with the Japanese equivalent last week, Bill Clinton turned out to have had quite something else in mind.

It wasn't a bow, exactly. But Mr. Clinton came close. He inclined his head and shoulders forward, he pressed his hands together. It lasted no longer than a snapshot, but the image on the South Lawn was indelible: an obsequent President, and the Emperor of Japan.

Canadians still bow to England's Queen; so do Australians. Americans shake hands. If not to stand eye-to-eye with royalty, what else were 1776 and all that about? But Mr. Clinton, alas, is not the only one since George Washington who has seemed not quite to know what to make of monarchs.

But the "thou need not bow" commandment from the State Department's protocol office maintained a constancy of more than 200 years. Administration officials scurried to insist that the eager-to-please President had not really done the unthinkable.

And then there was the Obama Administration's attempt to say he didn't bow. What moron thought that up? You only have to watch the tape to see it's obvious he did bow to King Abdullah.

Even worse than the fact that he broke a tradition going back to George Washington is that the bow will be taken in the Muslim world as a sign of weakness and subservience. I don't imagine that was his thinking when he bowed but that's how it will be perceived in the Middle East.

Jerry
04-12-2009, 01:37 PM
he didn't bow for the tenth time , that saudi king is sneaky , dropped a quarter on the floor and obamy picked it up , but it sure looked like he did bow to the kings slaves

Pistolero
04-12-2009, 02:39 PM
It's been said that Obama did it almost automatically. Don't forget he was raised by a Muslim father in Indonesia and it's customary to bow to a powerful elder in Muslim society. He probably did it instinctively. Just his Muslim roots showing themselves.