PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about modifying an 870 that shoots only 2 3/4 to handle 3 inch

Max__Power
04-13-2009, 06:39 AM
magnums? I accidently found a gunsmith's website offering this service looking for something else and forgot to bookmark it. Now I cannot find it. Basically, the info was that the receiver could handle the pressure and that only the chamber had to be lengthened and some parts (ejector for one) had to be swapped out. Anyone ever hear of this?

karma police
04-13-2009, 08:08 AM
since that's where the "chamber" typically is on a shotgun.

This is a pretty good forum for shotgun questions:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php?sid=0f1ee005bf1847940c50291e3cfe3d25

Max__Power
04-13-2009, 09:48 AM
and the other is a rifled Hastings Heavy Barrel for sabots and slugs. The Hastings barrel is marked for 3 inch shells but I was told not to try it. Dixie slugs makes a 3 inch hardened slug that would take an elephant down at 150 meters and I would love to be able to shoot it in my gun. So if the chamber length is determined by the barrel, then all I need is a need is a new extractor put in place, correct?

Pistolero
04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Why would you need a new extractor? The rim of the case is in the same place, it just extends further into the barrel. Maybe the ejector needs to be further back?

karma police
04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm talking out of my ass here. I don't know how an 870 ejector works but it doesn't seem like an extra 1/4" of shell length should matter. Don't most ejectors secure the rim of the brass and then flip the shell out of the receiver? What I'm getting at is that the work of ejecting is happening at the brass end of the shell and as long as the port is long enough a 3" shell should eject the same as a 2.75" shell(?)

weaponeer
04-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I think you're confusing the extractor and ejector. The extractor is the little hook shaped thing at the front of the bolt that grabs the rim of the shell to pull it out of the chamber. The ejector is further back in the receiver and kicks the shell out from under the extractor and out the port. On the 1100 I think the ejector is just a bump in the barrel extension. I don't remember the 870 ejector setup. I'll look at mine when I get home. But I would think if you have a 3" chambered barrel, it oughta work.

weaponeer
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Looks like it may need a different ejector. See here:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=175716&Messages=2

Max__Power
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Looks like it may need a different ejector. See here:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=175716&Messages=2

The 2.75" and 3" rcvr are exactly the same for the 870/878/58, except for the ejector. The extractor is the same too, they are mounted in the bolt and held in place by a spring and follower. LH extractors and Rh extractors ARE different and they can not be just flipped over and expected to work reliably. The rcvr studs for the ejector must be milled out where they are peened in place. Brownells makes a really nifty gadget just for this that will allow the current studs to be re-used. Replacement studs should be on hand just in case you can't re-use the old ones. Brownells also makes a spl tool to peen the studs over again. I never tried to modify the ejector and I just used new magnum ejectors. The ejector spring is the same.

Rem 1100/1187 ejectors are welded to the bl shank. Rem 1100 2.75" and 3" rcvr is same also and conversion requires new bl, magnum action bar sleeve, and magnum bolt buffer; I think the action spring is the same.

This can be done at home, but it can be done quicker by a gunsmith who has the proper tools and parts. It's better to have a gunsmith do the job right the first time than to have one clean things up and then do the intended job.

TMK
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Just buy one with a 3" chamber...probably cost less than fucking around modifying this one :) :)

Max__Power
04-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Just buy one with a 3" chamber...probably cost less than fucking around modifying this one :) :)

reblued. THis is a perfect 870 wingmaster from 1981.

TMK
04-13-2009, 04:03 PM
All the more reason not to fuck with it :) Besides...this is the perfect excuse for a new toy...SHHHHEHEEEEEESH Jerry do we have to tell you everything :) :)