PDA

View Full Version : Went to lunch at the CClub, Chamber and Rotary combined>>>>.

Michael
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Senator Mark Pryor and Governor Beebe (both Democrats) came for the annual Chamber of Commerce luncheon bash..

Their story:
1. Arkansas in one of only 7 states with no deficit!

2. Obama inherited all the bad shit, recession, national debt, etc.

3. Things are going to get worse.

I sat with the Ray Dillon, CEO and Kenneth Mann, CFO of Deltic Timber, Richard and Vertis Mason (and their daughter Laura). Richard is my Sunday school teacher, owns a hotel and multi many oil wells, hundred thousands acres of timber land, etc and Vertis is our alderman and my wife's childhood buddy. Richard Mason got his start as an oil geologist for Esso in Libya, in the 1960's.

Don't think that even the waiters were under the $20K per capita income that JW and Pasta like to cite for El Dorado, I'd say I was the poorest person in the room! But I could be wrong!

There are some gamy parts to El Dorado, but I like it!

Rev. Grouse
04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
But Baron, was the lunch to die for?

Coming from a small Southern town and knowing many accomplished people who came from there and similar venues I'm always amused by dipshits who have done nothing but insist on displaying their ignorance by vilifying "country" folk. Fighting windmills!

///Mike
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Arkansas is just a bunch of hicks!

Got your attention? It's all BS. There ARE hicks in AR. There ARE hicks in NY.

I remember growing up in Iowa (number 1 or 2 educational system in the Country, at the time), we thought everyone from Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, AR were all a bunch of uneducated Hoosiers! Imagine my surprise when I grew up and realized people from those areas felt the same about us! As did people from the East and West coasts, about all the midwest!

Since then, I've had a chance to travel most of the Country. One of the most hickish areas I discovered was not far outside LA! I was on a long business trip with one of my old business partners. We had flown into Vegas, played some golf, rented a car, drove to Santa Maria, CA, had a meeting, played more golf, then off to LA for more meetings (no golf!). We were "exploring" our way back to Vegas (to play more golf!). We stopped for dinner about an hour outside LA at a rural diner. The quantity of beat up pick ups in the lot should have been a clue! The patrons inside made us think of Deliverance! :-)

Mike, some of your pals could buy and sell the Mahattanites who would call them "hicks"!

One thing I've always noticed. People who belittle other places or people, usually have never been there, and have no personal knowledge!

For me, I'd take a couple million in the bank, and a beautiful house in your town, versus no money living in Manhattan!

JM2C

BlackHills
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
For me, I'd take a couple million in the bank, and a beautiful house in your town, versus no money living in Manhattan!

I'd take AR over Manhattan regardless of how much money I had. :D

You're correct, there are rich people everywhere just as there are stupid people everywhere. No place is exempt from either.

Brad
04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
T's family is from Arkansas.

I always enjoy the trip, people.

kv
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
gotta be pretty good a prof. I had at wash.u. in st.louis,mo retired there on a big farm and he was an Englishman for crying out loud.

Pistolero
04-14-2009, 08:10 AM
One thing I've always noticed. People who belittle other places or people, usually have never been there, and have no personal knowledge!

One particular Calihomofornicator comes to mind. ;)