PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep or trade my Daytona?

InsuranceGuy
04-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I am going to make a long and boring story less long and boring.

I bought a 16520 SS Daytona from a friend at a very good price about a year ago. It is 11 or 12 years old (obviously with the El Primero inside) and has the white dial. He gave me the box and papers with the exception of the COSC certificate which he has on file somewhere and can't find. (It is definitely real, by the way. No doubts about that). Not sure what serial # series it is and I am hesitant to remove the bracelet to find out.

I love the watch. Never looked twice at them until I had this deal in front of me and I am pleased to own it. Here is the thing: I am not a vintage watch kind of guy. Although it keeps perfect time, I can feel when I wind it that it could use a servicing.

I know that these suckers have appreciated a lot (and then depreciated due to the toiletus nature of the economy) and I imagine (based on nothing in particular) that I could trade it for a brand new version.

Would you do it (if that was an option)?

Tai-Pan
04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
You would lose money on the trade on a new Daytona. Why don't you sell it over on the VRF (elwood chime in here :) ) and then buy a new or slightly used 116520 Daytona and have some money left over?

karma police
04-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I prefer new to old, don't have movement preference and would be happy to avoid the cost of service.

OTOH, you might regret doing so when you check on the value of EP powered Daytonas five years from now.

kv
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
and get it serviced. I know an overhaul is pricey, especially if you don't a guy who can do it less than what rolex charges, with that being said I only get my rolexs serviced when they really start messing up. perfect time sounds good to me for quite awhile.

Brad
04-17-2009, 05:07 PM
How well do you like it?