PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it >>

kv
04-17-2009, 09:26 PM
why would you dump a rolex thats keeping perfect time ? the only excuse "I think it sounds funny when I wind it". its like looking for quartz accuracy from it. I talked to a rolex tec. guy yesterday and put forth my thoughts I "learned" on TZ and we was very kind he listened & re-buffed every word. I asked about "zeroing" out a rolex to perfect atomic clock time he said I can do that, but you will be bringing it back within two months to have it "zeroed" out again. he explained the oils inside shift periodically and cause the + or - in time keeping. I thought back to my 1st rolex an explorer I bought at 17 years old, I set by the clock on the kitche-aide stove clock and went on my way and never late or embarassed by giving incorrect time. I told him that and he laughed and said no we are talking before quartz there was rolex. he told me a rolex will always take a back seat to a casio g-shock in the accuracy dept. , but before quartz rolex built a huge rep. on being the next best thing. sometimes I wished I never discovered TZ the mindless boasts on accuracy and fear of the old rolex riveted bracelets not holding up to everyday use.

weaponeer
04-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't know, Kirk. I'm pretty anal about timing accuracy. In my old job I was responsible for keeping our range timing systems accurate to 1 millisec referenced to the US Naval Observatory. When I was Chairman of the DoD Inter-Range Instrumentation Group our members used to argue endlessly over timing differences in the nanosecond range. Yet, I'm pretty impressed with my TTSub, which I bought new from a dealer in Nov 2000 and has kept a consistent +1 sec/day ever since. It's never been in for a service (probably need to do that someday) so I'm not sure about the "oils shifting" thingee.

kv
04-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't know, Kirk. I'm pretty anal about timing accuracy. In my old job I was responsible for keeping our range timing systems accurate to 1 millisec referenced to the US Naval Observatory. When I was Chairman of the DoD Inter-Range Instrumentation Group our members used to argue endlessly over timing differences in the nanosecond range. Yet, I'm pretty impressed with my TTSub, which I bought new from a dealer in Nov 2000 and has kept a consistent +1 sec/day ever since. It's never been in for a service (probably need to do that someday) so I'm not sure about the "oils shifting" thingee.

thats what he told me about the oils in the watch it causes the + / - we experience with our rolexs. now I'm really confused I really respect you're opinions. I've owned a lot of rolexs and never had one like yours. I'm going to try it that is have my 16610 honed down to perfect and see waht happens. he'll do it for nothing so I'll see. Kevin )(adeeos) said the samthing a rolex should be spot on. Thanks Weap.

Pistolero
04-18-2009, 09:28 AM
That oils shifting thing would explain why when I go periods of time between wearing my Rolex, it runs differently timing wise from he last time I wore it. I remember one period it ran +20 seconds after 70 days. Another time it gained about 2 or 3 seconds / day.

Maybe the cat knocking it off the nightstand had something to do with it? LOLOLOL

Michael
04-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Second hunter me

Used to check my GMT Master against the radio time signals every hour, but now I have 2 Solar Atomic G-Shocks and the GMY is in the safe, unworn!