PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of a .22LR pistol

Bald1
04-18-2009, 08:37 PM
All the recent discussions about firearms and ammunition got me reminiscing about my Ruger 22. It is the longest owned pistol in my battery having been acquired back in 1983. It started life as a stock Mk678 II (stock 'net picture follows)

http://www.eastcountyguns.com/PHOTOS/PISTOLS/RUGER/mk678b.gif

In the 26 years this pistol has provided service, it has undergone quite a few changes in appearance. The stock adjustable rear sights received a King's oversize white outline sight blade and the stock grips replaced with a nice factory checkered walnut set. I experimented for a while with a B-Square monomount holding a Burris 2X LER scope. Eschewing the scope, I then installed a Polychoke vent rib covering the space between front sight blade and rear sights.

Then I got caught up in a NRA indoor bullseye 50' postal league which had me adding a red dot sight and refining the piece with Volquartsen parts. Specifially Volquartsen Volthane grips and a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit (trigger, sear, hammer, springs) were installed. To handle the red dot I installed a Weigand scope mount which in turn necessitated my cutting and removing a rear section of the vent rib. An early model Tasco Pro Point was replaced with the Pro Point Plus PDP5 currently mounted.

And here is what it looks like today:

http://rap.midco.net/bald1/Mk678%20II.jpg

Slugo
04-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Bob, I hate those fucking Rugers! I had two of them, one in SS with the bull barrel. Always jambing cause I was too fucking lazy to tear them down for proper cleaning. The take-down is a headache IMO...

Bald1
04-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Mike,

Once you learn how to properly disassemble the gun it really is easy. After 26 years I've got it down cold!

Jams? Not in mine..... I've used all sorts of fodder too from el cheapo to expensive match grade stuff. It all works.

As an aside I've always liked the S&W 41 but I never went after one.

kv
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Mike,

Once you learn how to properly disassemble the gun it really is easy. After 26 years I've got it down cold!

Jams? Not in mine..... I've used all sorts of fodder too from el cheapo to expensive match grade stuff. It all works.

the 1st and only pistol I took apart & took it back to the gun shop to show me how to put it back together, the guy showed me a trick and I was on my way! mine never jammed either. a Big Bang for the buck .22 pistol. kinda a Luger "feel" to it.

Slugo
04-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Mike,

The S&W Model 41 is soooo sweet and expensive. I'm partial to the S&W Model 617 revolver with a 6" barrel and target sites...

JR45ACP
04-19-2009, 01:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/jimreg50/ColtWoodsman.jpg

Mike S
04-19-2009, 02:08 AM
All the recent discussions about firearms and ammunition got me reminiscing about my Ruger 22. It is the longest owned pistol in my battery having been acquired back in 1983. It started life as a stock Mk678 II (stock 'net picture follows)

In the 26 years this pistol has provided service, it has undergone quite a few changes in appearance. The stock adjustable rear sights received a King's oversize white outline sight blade and the stock grips replaced with a nice factory checkered walnut set. I experimented for a while with a B-Square monomount holding a Burris 2X LER scope. Eschewing the scope, I then installed a Polychoke vent rib covering the space between front sight blade and rear sights.

Then I got caught up in a NRA indoor bullseye 50' postal league which had me adding a red dot sight and refining the piece with Volquartsen parts. Specifially Volquartsen Volthane grips and a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit (trigger, sear, hammer, springs) were installed. To handle the red dot I installed a Weigand scope mount which in turn necessitated my cutting and removing a rear section of the vent rib. An early model Tasco Pro Point was replaced with the Pro Point Plus PDP5 currently mounted.

And here is what it looks like today:

Very nice Bob. I have two, a MK II just like yours except in SS and a 22/24 bull bbl. in SS. Both are great shooters. Been kicking around the idea of building one of them into a comp gun. I like what you've done. I had a Clark trigger installed on another which I no longer have and it shot like a dream. As usual I regret letting it go. The MK II that I currently own is a keeper as it belonged to my late father. We use to go shooting together when ever we could and we took turns shooting it. Many very happy times are connected to that pistol. :)