PDA

View Full Version : Is Janet Napolitano the dumbest woman in DC?

BlackHills
04-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm sure most of us are familiar with her defense of the DHS "right-wing terrorists" report from a few days ago. I thought that was pretty bad but I think this one takes the cake.

From an interview by John King on CNN (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0904/19/sotu.01.html)...(emphasis added)KING: The administration has said it would like to move ahead on comprehensive immigration reform. That it would include some legal status for the millions who are in the United States illegally.

We went down to your state recently to explore this issue. And a man you're very familiar with, the Maricopa County sheriff, Joe Arpaio, we asked him, because of all the controversy about him rounding up illegal immigrants and some people aren't illegal immigrants, we asked him if he had a message for you and for the president of the United States.

And this is what he said.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO, MARICOPA COUNTRY, ARIZONA: I want the president, I want the politicians to say, we are going to enforce all of the illegal immigration laws and if you come into this country illegally, you're going to be prosecuted and put in jail.

Let them say that. I'm waiting for them to say that.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: A lot of Democrats in Congress want to you investigate him. They think he is over the line. He says he is just enforcing the law and the problem is the federal government.

NAPOLITANO: Well, you know, Sheriff Joe, he is being very political in that statement, because he knows that there aren't enough law enforcement officers, courtrooms or jail cells in the world to do what he is saying.

What we have to do is target the real evil-doers in this business, the employers who consistently hire illegal labor, the human traffickers who are exploiting human misery.

And yes, when we find illegal workers, yes, appropriate action, some of which is criminal, most of that is civil, because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil. But anyway, going after those as well.

But the notion that you're going to fill every prosecutor's time, every law enforcement official's time, and that's literally what he's talking about, on immigration, he doesn't answer the other question, which he has been criticized for, by the way, in Maricopa County, because he is not going after murders, armed robberies, other more serious crimes, because he is so focused on this one.

8 U.S.C. Sec. 1325 (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/usc_sec_08_00001325----000-.html) (a) states, in part; (a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts
Any alien who
(1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or
(2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or
(3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

(b) Improper time or place; civil penalties
Any alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to enter) the United States at a time or place other than as designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil penalty of—
(1) at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or
(2) twice the amount specified in paragraph (1) in the case of an alien who has been previously subject to a civil penalty under this subsection.

Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be imposed

I guess it's too much to ask that the Sec of the DHS know the laws she's supposed to enforce. Or maybe she's just representative of the normal level of competence in Washington.

Slugo
04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
she's a real idiot, but Pelosi takes the cake when the house is in session...

MAF
04-23-2009, 07:28 AM
.....a sad and corrupt bunch of people. Regards Mark.

Rev. Grouse
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
The answer to your question is yes. There are few women who are capable of high level jobs in government to begin with. This dupe is a complete bufoon along the lines of Janet Reno but worse. Did you see her comments a few days ago suggesting the 9-11 ragheads came in through Canada?

The border for dummies

National Post editorial board

National Post Published: Wednesday, April 22, 2009
More On This Story

Napolitano's Canada terror claims border on insane

Envoy rebukes U.S. for linking 9/11 terrorists to Canada

Full Pundit: Meet the new Homeland Security boss

Letter: Two Americans say 'Sorry, Canada'

Security paranoia defies logic

National Post editorial board: Our borders are safe

The wacky world of Janet Napolitano