PDA

View Full Version : Steve , looks like mac sales are not great

Jerry
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/884/1051884/apple-mac-sales-slide-percent

Sushi
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
How do they compare to other brands? Dell, the world's No. 2 PC maker, slipped 12 percent ... Projected sales from HP, the number 1 PC maker for 2009 fall 2 percent to 5 percent compared to 2008... The year ain't over but Dell and HP do not have an iPhone, iPod and iTune to bring in large revenues which have a tendency to grow over time vs. PC and laptop sales unless you get a foot hold in other markets but that's just it... HP and Dell are losing more sales in the huge untapped Asia Pacific markets...

When it comes to Apple and Mac sales, context is everything, in this context I'd say Apple ain't doing so bad IMHO.

Slugo
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Dude, "Apples and Oranges!". Apple makes expensive play toys and are not even remotely considered appropriate for business use by the corporate world. HP and Dell will NEVER be threatened by Jobs and company. iPods, iPhones, etc. belong on the same shelf as the Wii and Xbox...

Sushi
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Strangely enough more and more Universities are switching to Macs ;)

Slugo
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Universities are not corporations nor large business. Apple has always been the darling of the teaching profession. A tad more sophisticated than the original Atari 2600...

Jerry
04-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I don' know one engeneer that uses a mac , and if they do they run xp at work .

Sushi
04-24-2009, 08:26 AM
It starts with Universities then slowly creeps into the greater business world once those graduates are in place of influence... Just a matter of time until Leopard takes over, specially with all the Vista crap that happenned and still keeps on going... You gotta love Microsoft, their own worst enemies ;)

Slugo
04-24-2009, 09:05 AM
It starts with Universities then slowly creeps into the greater business world once those graduates are in place of influence... Just a matter of time until Leopard takes over, specially with all the Vista crap that happenned and still keeps on going... You gotta love Microsoft, their own worst enemies ;)

Dude, I work with and work with people who's primary function is data and analysis. Stuff that would boggle your mind, not intellectualism or academic bullshit at a university. Believe me, Apple, Mac, whatever will NEVER make it in real business. They know it, why do you think they changed their business plan to gadgets.

The academic world ends when you leave your classmates and professors behind...

Sushi
04-24-2009, 09:57 AM
problem is ... the large data bases people uses ... don't run on Leopard or Windows but on other programs which are more and more using web based interface - does not really matter what's on the front end anymore... Think Oracle, think PHP, Linux, MySQL ... Look at the solutions Microstrategy bring to the market with Web base user interface... Windows is a little irrelevant in this market since you can pretty much use any type of PC to connect to the database... Microsoft makes it easy and ... cheaply, now if Apple would license its operating system that would change the ball game for everyone involved.

Sure organizations will buy HP, or Dell not because they are a better product but simplyt because they can get better financing for them and get those system at a lesser price to start with... Still some Universities and Research facilities are switching to Mac... Go figure ;) But what do I know?

Pistolero
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
One other point. I read somewhere a while back that Apple equipped businesses typically only need one IT person/ 600 employees vs Windows companies that have something like one IT person / 200 employees. Computer recommendations are typically made by the IT department. If your job was dependent on it, which would you recommend?

Max__Power
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
One other point. I read somewhere a while back that Apple equipped businesses typically only need one IT person/ 600 employees vs Windows companies that have something like one IT person / 200 employees. Computer recommendations are typically made by the IT department. If your job was dependent on it, which would you recommend?

an IT guy who maintained servers at one of the agencies. His servers were macs and he told me that for every 1 hour a WINTEL machine went before it crashed and needed attention, the mac machines went 7 hours.

Pistolero
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
an IT guy who maintained servers at one of the agencies. His servers were macs and he told me that for every 1 hour a WINTEL machine went before it crashed and needed attention, the mac machines went 7 hours.

Again, if you were an IT guy, which system would you be specifying? Nothing like job security. ;)

Sushi
04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
So in all of this discussion, which one is the better product again ... ?

Jerry
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
my sister has brought her mac in 6 times in the last 3 years , I have yet to have a problem , I still have an old dell laptop running 24/7 as a media server , it is 6 years old. NONE OF my 6 comps ever have trouble , and all run 24/7 . When not being used they crunch numbers for cancer research they are all at least 3 years old The trouble is the comps are not set up properly and the dumbass operator probably says yes and loads crap .

Slugo
04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Stalemate! As said, Apple is a toy company and the rest are more attuned to the business community. The lobbying firm I came from used Mac, but then we were blessed with a huge state Medicaid contract. We had to load 250 hospitals into a data base including a mile long chain of formulas and variables. We received the original database from our state Department of Public Welfare. We had 2 Mac system guys. Impossible to do and luckily one of consultants talked Charley into moving out of the Mac world and getting with the program. We networked XP Pro internally and externally to handle a mountain of work. The PC's shined, the Macs were sold to a computer jockey in Philadelphia. Next step for Charley, Linux. OS-X is, well, pretty good for graphic designers due to all the anecdotal horseshit surrounding their capabilities...

Max__Power
04-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Again, if you were an IT guy, which system would you be specifying? Nothing like job security. ;)

The government IT guy who selects the systems and awards the contracts is the decision maker.

Sushi
04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I never had any problem with my Dell, it was an XP machine, ran 6 years before I gave it to a friend of mine who traded it for a used MacBookPro... Have yet to have an issue with my MacBookPro ;)

Mr_Pacman
04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
All the guys I know who use Macs sit down on the toilet when they take a piss.

You guys don't sit down to pee.........do you?

Slugo
04-26-2009, 12:47 AM
All the guys I know who use Macs sit down on the toilet when they take a piss.

You guys don't sit down to pee.........do you?

Steve uses one, but I know he doesn't sit down to take a leak! As for the other guys, I don't know, they just may have rings around their ass cheeks! :eek: