PDA

View Full Version : So i was all into Golf back in September...

Bobbo45
03-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Trying to figure out my +24 game".... and said to my brother in law...
"wait till it cools off, im really going to try and play 18, every week"..
Well got busy, and never got around to even going to the driving range
(which is only 10 blocks from my house)... Since!
Had not hit a golf ball in almost 5 months... went out yesterday after working
all day, and shot a +14 ! 5 Pars in a row! 2 Birdies...! Cant figure out how i could
shoot so straight, without any practice? So i guess i just need to play
2 times a year, to be satisfied with my game! LOL

kv
03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
that's what Tom Gorman former U.S. Davis Cupper called it can't make any mistakes like you said K.P. he called it the "zone" after the Television series The Twilight Zone. maybe the "honeymoon period" we call it in tennis with a racket the whole racket has got you so excited even the paint scheme and you're doing it all serves: flat bombs down the middle, american twist serves that bounce and "kick" wide at shoulder height. "The Zone" :)

Tai-Pan
03-07-2010, 12:42 AM
That's why I quit playing golf >10 years ago! I got worse the more I played! My best games were the first ones I played.

Pistolero
03-07-2010, 06:37 AM
You said it all right here...

You start to break down and over think your technique.

Bobbo45
03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Maybe im a bit ahead of the curve since i was once a 5.0 tennis player?
:-)) today im probably a 2.0! ;-(

kv
03-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe im a bit ahead of the curve since i was once a 5.0 tennis player?
:-)) today im probably a 2.0! ;-(

a 5.0 guy is a regular guy who is fucking nuts about tennis and plays all the time, 6.0 a collegiate player or former tour guy who is post peek eg. Harold Solomon. 7.0 you are earning a decent living on the Grand Prix Circuit. just jacking around a bit I bet you were good at one time.

Bobbo45
03-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Thank god you set me up just one more time to show this pic! LOL
Your right, i only once earned the 5.0 by being in a doubles final..(losing)
in a sanctioned 5.0 event. 95% of the time i was really a 4.5, winning in
that division.
Here i am with my wife on the left...with a couple of friends...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/RobertBurns/ce9ef7e4.jpg
Notice its 1992...Agassi with his "Hairpiece! (later he admitted to it almost coming
off, in the 1990 French open! Tough to keep the "Image" going... LOL

Bob knows Tennis!

BoxerEngine08
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Funny how that works. I used to hit buckets weekly, league on Wed. and play 18 on the weekends. I was inconsistent and frustrated most of the time.

After taking a year off from golf (back to school for an MBA), with no practicing, or anything, it was time to start the next season. A former pro at work laughed at my concerns about lack of practice. He said "shit, I haven't practiced in 20 years" and he had about a 4 handicap.

So I took that mindset into the league, along with some regular running to stay in shape in place of driving range time. I won the league that year and shaved several strokes off my handicap. Each round started with no worries or concerns over bad shots at the driving range - or worse yet - overconfidence from the driving range that created bad shots on the course. I'm not giving up on practice entirely, but there is no need to be stressing over lack of it.